Sunday, 26 February 2012

Immunised Against Mediocrity?

As you can see from the posts below I have been watching a lot of films that many people would consider to be "bad". I have watched this kind of film for many years, probably because I am easily pleased and I don't like to fork out money on newer, well known and often more expensive DVDs.

I have been thinking for a few days now, what if I have now watched so many "bad" films that I am becoming immune to them. With the exception of New Alcatraz and Manos: The Hands Of Fate I have been largely tolerant of the mediocre films I subject myself to. Maybe I need to watch a more mainstream film to remind myself of how movies are meant to be presented. The trouble is I don't own a lot of them and the cinema is a luxury that I do not think is cost effective.

I consider something like Spawn or The Warriors to be mainstream, but are they? They are certainly more well known that what I have been watching but they are probably still niche films mainly for comic book fans. The Shawshank Redemption is generally perceived as one of the greatest films of all time so that might help me put things into perspective but I don't really fancy it right now and I know how it ends. That's one of the problems I have with films sometimes, you can only really watch them once and get the full effect of the story, a problem that was non-existent before home video.

The chances are I will stick to watching the lesser known films, not just to review them on this blog but because I have the fun of a new story with new characters each time I press the play button. Yes, the plots may have all been done before and the characters are a bit one dimensional but perhaps that is part of the fun. I also get a nice surprise if I come across a diamond in the rough.

I would encourage more people to indulge in some cheap and sometimes nasty films, maybe not on the scale that I do, perhaps one in every ten films you watch. You might uncover the next cult classic, or it could be a stinker. At least give them a try I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment